Childcare and babysitting

If you are returning to work full- or part-time, then you will have to consider childcare arrangements. You may be able to share the care with your partner or you may have a member of your family living close by who is prepared to help out. Alternatively, you may want to consider more formal arrangements such as a nursery or a childminder. You can ask all nurseries and childminders for copies of their inspection reports to help you decide.

Registered childcare providers

The Care Inspectorate has a list of registered childcare providers that you can access on the Care Inspectorate website, or telephone 0845 600 9527. Your local Childcare Information Service (run by the local authority) can provide up-to-date advice on childcare and your options. Visit the Scottish families website for information on childcare; it will direct you to your local Childcare Information Service.

If you want to see a report on a particular nursery or childminder you can ask for the latest inspection reports or look at either the Care Inspectorate website or HMIE website.


Some parents choose to leave their baby in the care of a nursery when they return to work. Nurseries will typically have a few different rooms or areas so that your baby will be able to socialise with children her own age. It’s a good idea to visit a few nurseries in your area to see which one you – and your baby – like best. But do remember that you may need to put your child’s name down on a waiting list so it’s worthwhile thinking ahead.

All good nurseries will be able to provide you with information about the daily activities and routines they will provide for your child, who her key carers will be, and how her needs will be met – feeding, naps, nappy changing and socialising. Make sure you are completely happy with what’s on offer – and trust your own instincts too.


Some parents choose to have their baby looked after by a childminder. Usually your baby will be looked after at the childminder’s house – often in the company of other children – and often including the childminder’s own. Make sure you are happy with the set-up at your childminder’s house and with the number of other children being cared for.

With a childminder, your baby may have more of a ‘home-from-home’ routine which might include picking older children up from school, shopping and joining in with family activities. It’s important that you feel that the family’s values match your own – trust your instincts, as well as your childminder’s credentials.

Settling in

Going to nursery or a childminder is a big change for you and your baby, so arrange a settling in period before you go back to work – this allows you both to get used to the idea of being without each other for a few hours. You’ll probably find this more of an emotional wrench than she does, so you could plan coffee with friends, or shopping for new work clothes; try to enjoy that time to yourself.

Help with childcare

If you receive working tax credit or universal credit, you may be eligible for help with the cost of registered childcare (registered through the Care Inspectorate). Call 0345 300 3900 about tax credits or 0345 600 0723 about universal credit or find more information is available on the website . Your local JobCentre Plus may also be able to help with the costs of childcare if you need to start paying before you can accept a job.

Childcare vouchers and tax-free childcare

If you need to find out about childcare vouchers from your employer, for the most up-to-date information look at website. During 2017, the UK government is introducing a new Tax-Free Childcare scheme to replace vouchers, which can meet 20% of childcare costs, but you cannot get this as well as tax credits or universal credit.

Your employer may offer to pay some of your salary in childcare vouchers, which reduces the amount of tax you pay. The UK government is introducing a new Tax-Free Childcare scheme to replace vouchers, which can meet 20% of childcare costs, but you cannot get this as well as tax credits or universal credit (see page 64). For the most up-to-date information on all the help available with childcare look at website.

Around a quarter of two year-olds are entitled to 600 hours free early learning and childcare which is organised by the local authority. To find out if your child is eligible, visit the early learning and childcare website.


You and your partner will want to enjoy some time alone together and so you may be looking for a babysitter. In some areas, there are babysitting groups where mums get together and take it in turns to look after each other’s children. Again, your health visitor will be able to tell you what’s available locally.

It’s a good idea to spend some time with your new babysitter before you go out so that you and your child can get to know them. It’s also helpful to point out any particular risks or hazards in your home.

Sometimes parents ask their older children to look after a younger brother or sister. If you’re doing this, make sure they know how to get in touch with you and are aware of basics such as telephoning emergency services.

Make sure anyone you leave your child with knows where you are, when you’ll be back and how to contact you. Also, leave a list of emergency numbers (for example, your doctor) and ensure that the babysitter knows where the first aid box is and how to leave the house safely in case of fire.

Babysitting and the law

The laws concerning who you can leave your baby with are not clear. Ultimately it’s your responsibility to ensure your child is safe and well cared for. There is no provision in law specifying the age at which a child may either be left alone or may babysit.

If you pay someone to babysit, they should be considered capable of doing so. If they are under 16, then you (as a parent) could be prosecuted if your child comes to any harm. If your babysitter is 16 or over, a court would generally assume that they were capable of looking after children.

If they are babysitting, they have temporary care of your child and so also have a general responsibility to safeguard her health, development and welfare. But remember, this responsibility only applies if your babysitter is 16 or over.

Last Updated: 24 January 2018
We use cookies to help improve this website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue. Don't show this message again